|Simple Pavlova with Lychee, Pineapple & Red Currant|
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract / beans from one vanilla pod
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 500ml heavy cream
- 6 kiwi, peeled and sliced / 500gm strawberry/ any tart fruit you like.
- extra vanilla beans for the cream (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 9 inch circle on the parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy. Overbeaten egg whites lose volume and deflate when folded into other ingredients. Be absolutely sure not a particle of grease or egg yolk gets into the whites. Gently fold in vanilla extract, lemon juice and cornstarch.
- Spoon mixture inside the circle drawn on the parchment paper. Working from the center, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building edge slightly. This should leave a slight depression in the center.
- Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form, fold in vanilla beans if using any; set aside. Remove the paper, and place meringue on a flat serving plate. Fill the center of the meringue with whipped cream, sweetened if desired. Top whipped cream with fruits